STRAWBERRY SEASON! Magically, I don’t have to say another word and memories of summers past flood to mind… Happy Fourth of July to all of my American friends. May your summer be filled with sunshine, happiness and great food!
This cake is a one bowl ready-for-the-oven in five minutes perfect summer party dessert. Serve it with whipped cream and you’ll have an easy strawberry shortcake without the ‘short’!
FRESH STRAWBERRY CAKE
Preheat oven 400*F
2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup sour cream
½ cup Greek yogurt
½ cup buttermilk
½ cup canola or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 ½ cups fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
2 to 3 tablespoons sanding sugar, for sprinkling (2 tablespoons granulated sugar may be substituted)
- Grease a 9-inch spring form pan with cooking spray, or grease and flour the pan.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer or a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend on medium high speed until the mixture is smooth – about 2 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl then mix again about 1 minute more.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Place strawberries over the top of batter.
- Sprinkle with 2 to 3 tablespoons sanding sugar.
- Bake at 400*F for 25 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 375*F and bake for another 30 to 35 minutes, or until cake is golden, set in the center and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool cake in the pan on a wire rack for about 10 minutes before removing from pan and turning out onto a rack to cool completely.
THE LOVE: If your cake is browning too quickly cover with foil. Reversely, make sure it’s cooked through before removing from the oven.
one year ago: jumbo date and bran muffins
two years ago: Roma
three years ago: braised fennel bulb
Recipes are for sharing so by all means share my work. I love it!
Thanks for reading.