Six thirty am.
Every window wide open.
I turn the radio off and the house fills with bird song.
Fynn lazes on the hot verandah.
I’ve been thrashing the last several months. It happens every few years; an unexplainable, frenetic need to be busy. I don’t know where it comes from or why. Maybe menopause, maybe not. I wake up one day and my life is moving faster than my body will carry it. I’m breathless, until it’s over.
When my eyes opened this morning, I knew it had passed.
I took a big breath.
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
Makes 8 servings
Preheat oven 375*F
- 1 quart strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 salt
- 1 pound strawberry rhubarb, cut in 1/2-inch dice (about 3 cups)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, flour and salt.
- Pour in strawberries and toss gently.
- Allow strawberry mixture to sit for 1 hour.
- While strawberries are getting juicy, prepare the topping.
- After 1 hour add the rhubarb to the strawberries then pour all into a lightly greased 10-inch casserole or pie plate.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over the fruit.
- Bake until golden brown, about 30 – 35 minutes.
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup butter, grated
- ½ cup flaked coconut
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and oats.
- Stir in grated butter, flaked coconut and chopped pecans with a fork. Don’t mash the butter; it’s more like you’re tossing the butter with the flour mixture.
THE LOVE: If you don’t have a box grater, you can successfully use a pastry blender to work the butter into the flour. Whisk the flour and sugar together then cut the butter into the flour. Once the flour/butter mixture looks like a coarse meal, toss in the rolled oats, flaked coconut and chopped pecans.
Thanks for reading.