I’m still thinking about easy, nutritious and most importantly scrumptious lunches. Who wants to face another pb&j sandwich? Not me. Once lunch time rolls around, I’m starving and always pressed for time. I want something that’s quick to make, will give me buckets of energy to finish my day and tastes like I want another.
Rice bowls, quinoa bowls, energy bowls, super power packed ‘you name it, it’s in here’ bowls are the answer. I love the ingredient versatility and how gorgeous they look with minimal effort. Open your fridge, have a look around for a few vegetables, a couple of eggs and a salad dressing. Then move to your cupboard and haul out some rice or a grain, a legume of some kind and nuts. There you have it; all of the stuff you need to create your own lunch bowls.
POWER PACKED LUNCH BOWLS
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed well with cold water
- 1 cup water
- Mix ingredients together in a medium-sized sauce pan then bring to a boil.
- Cover pot and reduce heat to minimum for 15 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes – leave cover on pot.
- Fluff quinoa with a fork and allow to cool.
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ¼ red onion, sliced thin
- 5 asparagus spears, blanched
- 1 – 19 oz can of chick peas, rinsed and drained well
- 2 tablespoons slightly salted and toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 large egg, hard boiled
- 1/4 cup pesto homemade or commercial
- The simplest way to make these lunch bowls is to place all of the ingredients in a large salad bowl and toss gently but well.
- Or you can place each ingredient separately on a platter and toss just before serving.
THE LOVE: Use whatever combination of raw vegetables, cooked vegetables, rice, grain, legumes, eggs, chicken, nuts or fruit that you like and experiment with your choice of dressing. Just make sure that everything is really fresh!
Thanks for reading.