RHUBARB CREAM CHEESE CUPCAKES WITH LEMON DRIZZLE
Cupcakes – makes 18
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 pound (4 cups) diced rhubarb
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake paper-liners.
- In a large bowl, stir together sugar, baking soda, salt and flour.
- Add yogurt to the beaten eggs and mix until smooth then fold in the rhubarb.
- Fold the rhubarb mixture into the flour mixture until well blended. The batter will be thick.
- Fill cupcake liners half full of batter.
- Drop 1 heaping teaspoon of cream cheese mixture into each cup.
- Top each cup with more batter until the cup is 3/4 full.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Remove pan to a cooling rack and allow the cupcakes to sit for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes remove cupcakes from the pan and place them on the cooling rack.
- Using the tines of a fork, drizzle with the lemon drizzle.
- Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled.
Cream Cheese Filling
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup icing/confectioner’s sugar
- Place cream cheese and icing sugar in a small bowl and mix well.
- Place in the freezer for 1 hour.
- When chilled, drop heaping teaspoons into cupcakes.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a small bowl, stir together 3/4 cup sugar and butter until smooth.
- Stir in 1/4 cup flour and cinnamon until the mixture is crumbly.
- Divide streusel topping between the 12 cupcakes. You’ll have more topping than you need, but you can freeze the leftovers for another time. Trust me, you’re gonna want to make these again and again!
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar
- 1 fresh lemon juice
- Add enough fresh lemon juice to make a thin drizzle – squeeze slowly so that you don’t make the drizzle too thin.
THE LOVE: If you’d prefer to bake a cake rather than cupcakes, follow the directions above using a 9 x 13 inch square cake pan. Test the cake at 45 minutes.
Thanks for reading.