GINGER BEER BBQ SAUCE is sweet, tangy and finger licking fantastic!
It’s Easter weekend. The whole world is faced with the risk of being infected with Covid-19. For those of us who’ve taken on the responsibility of social distancing to do our part to stop the spread of this virus, the time can be tedious. For me, it’s time to reframe my thoughts and energy. Time to celebrate the quiet moments of my life. Those moments that are not social media worthy but profoundly soul soothing. A solitary walk in the forest, an afternoon nap, finishing a 1000 piece puzzle or planning this summer’s vegetable garden. I often complain about never having the time to do the things I want to do. Well then, I’d say I best put this break in my life to good use. How about you?
Ginger Beer BBQ Sauce
- 2 tsp (10ml) olive oil
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) fresh ginger, finely chopped
- ¼ cup (60ml) brown sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) orange juice
- 355 ml ginger beer
- 1 cup (125ml) ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan and gently sauté onions, garlic and ginger until translucent and fragrant.
- Add brown sugar and allow to caramelise until golden brown and sticky.
- De-glaze the pan with the orange juice and then add the ginger beer and reduce to 1/2 cup of liquid.
- Add ketchup and allow to cook over a low heat until sauce has thickened to the desired consistency – about 15 minutes
- Add Worcestershire sauce, black pepper and white balsamic vinegar.
THE LOVE: The secret to Ginger Beer BBQ Sauce is to make sure you take the time to reduce the ginger beer. If you don’t, it will still be tasty but very thin.
Stay Home. Stay Safe and cook.