Spicy beer candied bacon is the perfect Covid 19 social distancing party food. Trust me, you’ll be glad there’s no one around to share it with. It’s so addictive.
SPICY BEER CANDIED BACON strips are irresistible. Think about – salty, smoky, spicy sweet crunchy bites. They take a bit of time to prepare but are completely foolproof and mind blowing delicious! Beyond serving them alone, their role as a garnish is limitless. This weekend, I’ll use them to top a potato latke thingy I’m doing for a dinner club that we’re hosting. Stay tuned…This past Sunday, I tested some new-to-me recipes from the queen of apps. Whenever, I need a little inspiration all I need do is send her a note and BOOM my inbox is brimming. I took the original recipe and added a little Frank’s Hot Sauce. If you’re looking for this year’s hot party favour, I’ve found it!
This is the time of year that we entertain constantly. Every weekend, we invite anywhere from two to a dozen friends over for dinner. An invitation on Friday means casual homemade junk food. Pizza, nachos, burgers – stuff you’d order at a drive through except I make it. Saturday night is usually the night I put on the dog. I’ll have thought about it all week and then play all day in the kitchen. Sunday, without a doubt, involves football. Needless to say, the food flips to a tailgate party.
SPICY BEER CANDIED BACON – slightly adapted from Tide and Thyme
Preheat oven 400*F
- 1 lb extra thick smoked bacon
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons any dark beer
- 2 tablespoons Frank’s Hot Sauce
- In a small bowl, combine, brown sugar, beer and hot sauce.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment
- Place a rack the same size on top of parchment
- Lay bacon on rack – don’t worry if the bacon overlaps, it shrinks as it cooks
- Place in preheated oven for 10 minutes
- Remove from oven and paint bacon on both sides with brown sugar mixture.
- Place back in oven for 10 minutes.
- Repeat process until sauce is gone and bacon is golden and crisp.
- Remove from oven and allow bacon to cool for 1 hour.
THE LOVE: Watch your bacon closely. You want it golden and crisp not burnt and hard!
one year ago: apple cranberry crunch
two years ago: still running around Italy!
Thanks for reading.