Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce is way more fun than rhubarb jam. This time of year, when rhubarb is plentiful, jams and pies are bubbling and baking all over the country. I rarely eat jam and a pie is a lot of work but this RHUBARB BARBECUE SAUCE is ready in 30 minutes.
RHUBARB BARBECUE SAUCE
- 2-3 large stalks of rhubarb, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup pure maple or golden syrup
- 1/2 cup packed old fashion brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- In a small saucepan, bring the rhubarb and water to a simmer and cook for 5-6 minutes, until the rhubarb is very soft. Set aside.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and cook the onion for 3-4 minutes, until soft; add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer; cook for 10-15 minutes, until the mixture thickens.
- Puree with a hand-held immersion blender or cool and puree in a food processor until smooth. Use on grilled meats, poultry and white fish.
THE LOVE: One of my favourite ways to serve this Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce is with grilled halibut. It is off the charts!
Thanks for reading and stay safe. xo