Summer Salsa is the perfect way to greet summer and all the fun to come. It has the perfect combination of sweet, spicy and tart to make an irresistible fruit salsa to serve with tortilla chips or with grilled chicken or fish. Be sure to use ripe mangoes to maximize the flavour and texture. There’s nothing worse than an under ripe, tasteless, hard mango. If the mango has a lovely sweet aroma and gives slightly under pressure, you’re good to go.
Whenever, I use mango I feel like too much fruit gets wasted due to how difficult it is to cut around the pit. Mangoes have an unusually large pit so be careful when cutting the fruit that you don’t accidentally chop into the stone. Once you get your slices off, you can chew the rest while you are dicing the rest of the ingredients.
Finding ways to entertain ourselves at home this summer, with travel restricted, is crucial to ensuring that we find a way to celebrate summer regardless of covid-19. Preparing fun and easy snacks to serve with a cold beer or glass of wine goes a long way to making us all feel happier.
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled and cut into 1/4″ dice
- 1 red pepper, 1/4 ” dice
- 5 scallions, white part sliced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 6 ounces/170 ml canned pineapple juice
- 2 limes, juiced
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon curry powder.
- Combine everything in a bowl, mix gently and allow flavours to marry for at least one hour.
- This salsa will keep in the refrigerator, covered, up to three days.
- Serve with taco chips or with grilled fish or grilled chicken.
THE LOVE: It’s crazy important to make your salsa in advance to give it lots of time for the flavours to marry.
Thanks for reading and stay safe. XO