Every now and then, I bite into something that rocks my world. Over the Christmas holidays, I was at a pot luck and chomp my taste buds went wild! The daughter of the host had baked ginger cookies and was graciously walking through the crowd with a platter piled high. I was more interested in the conversation I was having than her plate of cookies until I took a bite. Hands down, these are the best soft ginger cookies I’ve ever eaten. Being the recipe scrounger that I am, I asked if she’d mind sharing with me.
“Absolutely!” she smiled. “It’s the first ginger cookie recipe on the Allrecipes blog”
I couldn’t resist putting my own spin on the original…
Soft Chewy Ginger Cookies chocked full with goodies – adapted from Allrecipes
Preheat oven 350*F
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup margarine, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon water
¼ cup molasses
1/3 cup dried apricots, diced
¼ cup walnuts, chopped
¼ cup pistachios, chopped
¼ cup raisins
1/3 cup dried cranberries
2 tablespoons candied orange peel, chopped [optional]
2 tablespoons white sanding sugar
- Whisk together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, then the water and molasses.
- Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture.
- Mix in the dried fruit and chopped nuts.
- Scoop dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the 2 tablespoons of sanding sugar.
- Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 11 to 13 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store in an airtight container.
THE LOVE: As with any cookie, don’t overwork the dough. Mix until just well combined.
click here for the printable recipe
Thanks for reading.
Get More Recipes Like This In Your Inbox
Join my mailing list to receive the latest recipes right in your inbox.