We’re into our fourth month of winter. Hard-core, unrelenting, frozen-to-the-bone winter. As unpatriotic as this sounds, I’m sick to death of it.
I AM CANADIAN but I want winter to end. Sadly, Spring will come when it comes. Until then we’ll eat soup and try to keep warm.
Lentil Soup with Sausage and Spinach
1 lb bratwurst sausage, sliced into 1” pieces
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
12 oz chopped peeled carrot – 3 medium
1 leek, sliced into ¼ “ rings
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 ½ cups dried green lentils – lentils du Puy if you can find them – I could not…
1 teaspoon herbs de Provence
5 cups water
2 cups vegetable stock
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 lb baby spinach
- Place a large deep stock pot over medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil to pot and warm.
- Add leek and garlic and sauté until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add sausage and sauté 6 minutes.
- Stir in lentils and herbs de Provence.
- Add water and vegetable stock, bring to a simmer.
- Add carrots and simmer until lentils are almost tender, about 1 hour.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, stir in spinach.
- Serve immediately.
THE LOVE: Adding your spinach just before you serve your soup will ensure that your greens are lovely and bright!
click here for the printable recipe
one year ago: poppy-seed bundt cake
two years ago: saving your gnocchi
Thanks for reading.
Get More Recipes Like This In Your Inbox
Join my mailing list to receive the latest recipes right in your inbox.