Want to know how to make crunchy, moist fried chicken without using a deep fryer? Potato Chip Oven-Fried Chicken Strips are genius! I wish I was the brains behind this clever idea however although the brilliance isn’t mine the recipe is. So, you ask, where’d you get the idea?
I was having lunch with dad a couple of weeks ago, when he mentioned that he’d had the “neatest” tasting fried chicken. You have to understand, Dad is NOT a foodie. He likes what he likes as long as mom cooks it! Having a discussion with Dad about food is like talking to a vegetarian about hunting. He just isn’t interested.
“What was so neat about it?”
“It was coated in potato chips”
I’d never heard of or thought of using potato chips as a chicken crust. My fried chicken is more like the Colonel Sanders variety – flour,eggs, spices then deep fried. The idea of being able to create crunchy fried chicken without using a deep fryer to cook the chicken and having the added benefit of being gluten-free sold me. We don’t have a wheat intolerance, but so many people do it’s nice to be have ab option
Many of the recipes I looked at suggested using flavoured potato chips. I liked the idea but didn’t want the chemicals. Instead, I used a sour cream and fresh chive paste to dip the chicken in before rolling the strips in the crushed chips. The sour cream acts like a glue for the coating and keeps the chicken perfectly moist while it bakes. In less than half an hour, I served the best crunchy fried chicken I’ve ever eaten. Of course, I realised after finishing this recipe that Dad wouldn’t eat my version… sigh.
Sorry Dad – I can’t help myself! XO
POTATO CHIP OVEN-FRIED CHICKEN
Preheat oven 400* F
2 tablespoon buttermilk
½ cup thick sour cream
½ teaspoon onions powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 chive shoots, snipped*
4 ounces potato chips
1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 ½ – 2 “ wide strips
* Use kitchen shears to snip the chives.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place buttermilk, sour cream, onion powder, garlic powder, snipped chives and pepper in a small mixing bowl and mix well
- Place the potato chips in a large paper bag. Using a rolling pin, crush the chips until they resemble crumbs.
- Dip the chicken breasts into the sour cream mixture and then into the crushed potato chips.
- Place the chicken strips on the prepared baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 15 to 19 minutes until the cutlets are cooked through but still tender and that the topping is golden brown.
- Allow to sit 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with your favourite dipping sauce. – I used Wildflower Honey
THE LOVE: If you don’t have an instant-read meat thermometer, cut into the middle of one of the strips to make sure they’re cooked through. This recipe can be easily increased to feed as many people as you need to!
one year ago: buttermilk dressing
two years ago: chicken caprese sandwich
three years ago: salmon with french sorrel cream
Thanks for reading.
Get More Recipes Like This In Your Inbox
Join my mailing list to receive the latest recipes right in your inbox.