I never do this; post without all of the photos showing you how to do it. I didn’t intend to share this recipe. It was one of those ‘let’s see what’s in the fridge and throw it together dishes’. When I took my first bite, I kicked myself for not taking more shots. It’s easy to make and the flavour is pot-licking delicious!
The secret to success is letting the peppers melt into the oil. You’ll see what I mean…
ONE SKILLET ITALIAN CHICKEN – serves 4
- 1 – 3lb fryer cut-up
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 anchovies, chopped – they’re just for seasoning, it won’t taste fishy at all!
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 – 19 ounce tin whole peeled cherry tomatoes in puree
- 1 cup large Italian green imported olives – make sure your guests know they have pits
- 2 tablespoons flat Italian parsley, chopped
- sea salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper
- Place a heavy skillet over medium high heat.
- Add olive oil.
- When oil is hot, place chicken pieces in the skillet, bone side down, without crowding. You’ll have to do several batches.
- Cook on one side for 5 minutes then turn the chicken over for the same amount of time. Cook all of the chicken in this manner. Remove well-browned chicken to a platter.
- When all of the chicken is well browned and out of the skillet, add butter to the dirty skillet.
- When butter is sizzling add chopped anchovies, garlic and peppers.
- Reduce heat so that the anchovies, garlic and peppers melt into the oil/butter mixture – 10 – 15 minutes. Stir often.
- Once the peppers are jammy, add the cherry tomatoes and green olives.
- Increase heat and bring to a boil then add the chicken pieces.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer skillet until chicken is cooked through.
- To serve, top dress with lots of sea salt, freshly ground pepper and chopped parsley.
THE LOVE: Anchovies add depth not fishiness. You gotta trust me.
Thanks for reading.