Some days the eyeball busting cold is more than I can bear. My shoulders are constantly hunched, some sort of primal head protection reflex, causing the muscles in my back to ache, until June. Every year, I think a few new highly fashionable knitted sweaters, a colourful scarf and a pair of rugged Canadian made, over-priced, winter boots will entice me out-of-doors.
I find a sunny spot, inside my house. To there, I drag a comfy chair and side table. I pull out a well-worn quilt, proved by the fraying edges, and drape it over the chair for constant access. I pile cookbooks I’ve bought since last winter on and near the table; I’ve no control when it comes to books on cooking.
Bring on winter.
This fast easy quick winter survival kit of a salad is gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian and takes about 5 minutes to throw together which leaves lots of time to read cookbooks.
FAST EASY QUICK WINTER SURVIVAL KIT SALAD
- 1 English seedless cucumber, washed and chopped into chunks
- 1 scallion, white and green parts thinly sliced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 large avocado, pitted and diced
- 2 tablespoons vegenaise or mayonnaise
- Juice of half a lime
- zest of a whole lime
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha or your favourite hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- handful of micro-greens. I buy my micro-greens locally from the Garnish Guys
- Combine the cucumber, scallions, celery and avocado in a medium-sized salad bowl.
- Whisk together vegenaise, lime juice, lime zest, sea salt, cilantro and sriracha.
- Gently toss salad with dressing and garnish with micro-greens
- Survive the winter.
THE LOVE: You can make this salad more interesting by adding cooked grains like quinoa or farro, toasted nuts and chopped dried fruits, but that would take longer than 5 minutes!
My beautiful micro-greens are grown locally by the Garnish Guys from Nauwigewauk, New Brunswick and can be purchased at Real Food Connections Saint John, Canterbury St. This is not an infomercial; they just have great greens!
Thanks for reading.
Get More Recipes Like This In Your Inbox
Join my mailing list to receive the latest recipes right in your inbox.