Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce is way more fun than rhubarb jam. This time of year, when rhubarb is plentiful, jams and pies are bubbling and baking all over the country. I rarely eat jam and a pie is a lot of work but this RHUBARB BARBECUE SAUCE is ready in 30 minutes.
RHUBARB BARBECUE SAUCE
- 2-3 large stalks of rhubarb, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup pure maple or golden syrup
- 1/2 cup packed old fashion brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- In a small saucepan, bring the rhubarb and water to a simmer and cook for 5-6 minutes, until the rhubarb is very soft. Set aside.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and cook the onion for 3-4 minutes, until soft; add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer; cook for 10-15 minutes, until the mixture thickens.
- Puree with a hand-held immersion blender or cool and puree in a food processor until smooth. Use on grilled meats, poultry and white fish.
THE LOVE: One of my favourite ways to serve this Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce is with grilled halibut. It is off the charts!
Thanks for reading and stay safe. xo
Get More Recipes Like This In Your Inbox
Join my mailing list to receive the latest recipes right in your inbox.