Rhubarb Pudding Cake is an old fashion quick cake that requires no fancy equipment other than an oven. All you need is a sharp knife, a couple of bowls, a whisk or spoon and you’re off to the races!
It may seem counter intuitive to pour liquid over the top of the cake batter but trust me the sugary syrup leaves a crunch on the cake’s surface then drains through to create to lovely soft fruit bottom.
This will be my last rhubarb recipe this Spring. The weather is getting warmer which causes the rhubarb to slow down so time for me to let it grow and thrive throughout the summer.
RHUBARB PUDDING CAKE
- 3 cups rhubarb, diced
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350*f
- Grease a 8 inch square pan.
- Place chopped rhubarb in the bottom.
- In a medium bowl whisk until smooth flour, granulated sugar, milk, melted butter, baking powder, salt and vanilla extract.
- Immediately, pour over rhubarb and spread evenly. The butter solidifies quickly so be quick!
- In a deep bowl, whisk powdered sugar with cornstarch then add water and whisk until well combined.
- Pour sugar mixture evenly over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven, cool and serve.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
THE LOVE: Rhubarb freezes beautifully so now is the time to pick and freeze your home grown or rhubarb from a local farmer. It’s fantastic to be able to whip up your favourite rhubarb treat in the middle of winter.
Thanks for reading and stay safe. XO