I’m kidding but this salad is no joke. If you like pears and love Gorgonzola, you might want to eat it privately. Licking your plate is just plain bad manners!
PEAR AND GORGONZOLA SALAD WITH SALTED CARAMEL VINAIGRETTE
4 perfectly ripe pears, 1/4 inch horizontal slices – save tops
½ cup Gorgonzola, crumbled
2 cups baby arugula
¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- Layer pear slices with a sprinkle of Gorgonzola and arugula until the pear is rebuilt
- Drizzle vinaigrette over pears.
- Sprinkle with nut gremolata and pomegranate seeds
SALTED CARAMEL VINAIGRETTE
¼ cup butter
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Maldon sea salt flakes
- Place a heavy bottom skillet over medium high heat.
- Add butter melting completely.
- Add brown sugar and stir to combine
- Heat until mixture begins to bubble.
- Stir in white wine vinegar and bring back to a boil.
- Thicken slightly then remove from heat and stir in Maldon salt
- Allow to cool for 3 minutes then serve.
MACADAMIA NUT GREMOLATA*
½ cup macadamia nuts, toasted
1 clove of garlic
- Place ingredients in food processor and wiz until coarsely chopped
*Gremolata is typically a chopped herb condiment made of lemon zest, garlic, and parsley. It’s that final blast of flavour on your plate. I’ve used the name loosely to describe the final flourish for this salad.
THE LOVE: I served this vinaigrette with pears and gorgonzola but it would be just as good with apples and chevre!
one year ago: raspberry laced bittersweet cinnamon chocolate brownies
two years ago: cream of roasted carrot and butternut squash soup
This maple leaf drifted onto my plate as I was shooting the photos for this post in my backyard. The leaves are almost gone…
Thanks for reading.
click on my suggestions for creating a dinner menu around today’s post: